2020 Holiday Cookie Recap

In past years, I've written a blog post that includes a list all of the recipes I made for our annual holiday party; it comes in handy both for my own reference and for guests who ask me for recipes afterwards. So even though we had to cancel our 2020 holiday party thanks to COVID, I still wanted to compile a list of all of the recipes I used for the boxes of holiday cookies that friends picked up at our house at the end of December. Because I offered multiple dates for cookie pickups over two weeks, I'm going to list the recipes for weeks one and two separately below.

Week 1 recipes:
[A photo showing of all of the cookies above, except for the sticky ginger squares, is at the bottom of this post]
[The first photo below shows the five cookies listed above, starting with the stamped brownie cookies on the left and moving clockwise]
[The second photo below shows the ten cookies listed above, starting with the chocolate chip-mint cookies on the upper left, and moving clockwise]
I had 42 scheduled pickups of cookie boxes during week one. However, I badly miscalculated how many cookies I would need and had a ton left over. So I got in touch with a friend who had a pickup scheduled for week two, and I asked if I could stop by the wine store he manages to bring him an early extra box of cookies, as well cookies for his co-workers. He said sure, and I asked how many employees were working that day, since I wanted to pack everyone a separate box (because, you know, COVID). Honestly, I was expecting his answer to be five or six employees, but he told me that there were 18 people working that day! Unbelievably, I had enough cookies to pack a sizeable box for our friend and his family, as well as 18 additional ones for his colleagues (they were small -- as I recall, they had maybe seven or eight cookies each)!

By contrast, I had only 24 scheduled pickups for week two, so my list of recipes for that week is shorter (and it includes two repeats from week one).

Week 2 recipes:
[The seven cookies listed above are included in the first photo below, starting from the upper left and moving clockwise]
[The nine cookies listed above are included in the second photo below, starting at the top and moving clockwise]
My personal favorites from this year included the eggnog snickerdoodles, pistachio pinwheels, pan-banging snickerdoodles, salted halvah blondies, buckeye bars, coconut slices, and sesame florentines. Also, the recipes included some of my perennial favorites: Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies, revel bars, ginger crunch, pecan sandies, chocolate chip-mint cookies, compost cookies, chocolate chunk cookies with Nutella, and Kahlúa fudge bars.  

A lot of things about 2020 sucked. And I was definitely disappointed that we couldn't host our holiday party for the first time in 13 years. But I really enjoyed still being able to bake holiday cookies for our friends, and because cookie pickups were scheduled over several days, I was able to produce a wider variety of baked goods compared to what I could prepare for a party on a single evening. It was great ending 2020 on a baking high note.

Previous Holiday Party Coverage: 2019 Holiday Party Recap; 2018 Holiday Party Recap; 2017 Holiday Party Recap; 2016 Holiday Party Recap; 2015 Holiday Party Recap; 2014 Holiday Party Recap; 2013 Holiday Party Recap; Holiday Spice Cake with Eggnog Buttercream (2012); Stump de Noël (2011) and 2011 Party Recap; 2009 Party Recap; 2008 Party Recap Parts I, II, and III.

Comments