Stamped, Minted, Delivered: Stamped Brownie Cookies

I added Yossy Arefi's Stamped Brownie Cookies to my list of holiday cookies on a whim; I was sold the moment I saw a photo of the cookies on Instagram. Plus, I own several cookie stamps that sit idle for approximately 364 days a year, so I welcomed an opportunity to use them. 

While this recipe is straightforward, this was one of the most time-consuming recipes I made during the holidays because of the need to chill the dough and then roll, stamp, and cut the cookies. To make the dough, you cream room temperature butter with brown sugar; add eggs and vanilla; and incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, Dutched cocoa powder, black cocoa powder, kosher salt, and baking powder -- I left out the optional cinnamon). I chilled the dough for a few hours before rolling it out to a thickness of a quarter inch, stamping it (I tried out several Nordic Ware stamps, but the one I liked most was the chevron pattern), and baking the cookies. I was able to reroll all of the scraps multiple times without a problem. While the cookies were warm from the oven, I brushed on a glaze made from powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla paste, peppermint extract, and salt. The glaze set firm and I could stack the cookies without a problem.
I loved the look of these finished cookies. The contrast between the semi-opaque glaze and the almost-black cookie (the 50-50 mix of Dutch cocoa and black cocoa created a dough that was the very dark color of an Oreo) was dramatic, and accentuated by the stamp pattern. And these cookies were delicious. They reminded me of brownies in a couple of ways. First, they had a brownie-like classic cocoa flavor, with just a light touch of mint from the glaze. Second, their soft and cake-like texture reminded me of a cakey brownie. Generally I really dislike cakey cookies, but in this case the cookies were thin enough that I didn't mind. Although I won't pretend that I wouldn't have preferred a chewier, firmer cookie. 

This is a really great holiday cookie, especially if you flavor the glaze with peppermint. It's got stunning good looks and festive flavors. And while making these stamped brownie cookies might require a little more time and effort than baking bars or drop cookies, I think it's worth it.
 
Recipe: "Stamped Brownie Cookies" by Yossy Arefi.

Comments

Raylene said…
I purchased the same (?) cookie stamp set by Nordic Ware after seeing Tim Mazurek's article about Christmas cookie plates, on his website, Lottie and Doof. The stamps just arrived last week. Your cookies are just lovely! The geometric pattern adds such an attractive and beautiful dimension. What an amazing baking spree you had in December. Your recipients must have been thrilled with their boxes.
Thanks! I was lucky that I bought my stamps at a kitchenware store in Wisconsin that sold them as singles for a very reasonable price -- so I wasn't forced to buy a set of three, the way I normally see them sold. I should find more ways to put my stamps to use!