Small, Rich, and Vibrant: Lemon, Ricotta, and Thyme Mini-Loaves

I have so many cake pans that they are stored in my kitchen, on shelves in the attic (thank goodness we have a large finished attic accessible through fixed stairs), and in numerous bins in the basement. From time to time I've downsized my collection, by giving pans away to friends or donating them to charity. Fortunately, for some reason I held onto a pan with eight mini-loaf cavities that turned out to be perfect for Bejamina Ebuehi's "Lemon, Ricotta & Thyme Mini-Loaves." 

This recipe is simple and doesn't require a mixer. You rub lemon zest into sugar until the sugar is moist and fragrant; stir in chopped fresh thyme; add oil, ricotta cheese, and eggs; and incorporate flour, baking powder, and salt. I divided the batter between the eight pan cavities, which I had buttered and lined with parchment paper.
The cakes released effortlessly and just fell out of the pan. After they were completely cooled, I dipped the top of each cake in a glaze made from lemon juice and powdered sugar and garnished it with a sprig of thyme. The cakes were adorable and had a vibrant lemony flavor with a nice touch of thyme; the lemon-thyme pairing is a good one. The ricotta made the cake rich and moist but I couldn't taste it in the finished product. 

This recipe give you eight delightful little cakes for very little effort. They would make lovely gifts, but no one could blame you if you wanted to keep these delicious beauties all to yourself!

Recipe: "Lemon, Ricotta & Thyme Mini-Loaves" from The New Way to Cake by Benjamina Ebuehi, recipe available here from the Minnesota Star Tribune
 
Previous Post: "Just Peachy: Peach Cake with Lemon and Thyme," August 23, 2021.

Comments

Sally said…
I LOVED those cakes. I made a half recipe and used 3 mini loaf pans.
Agreed, this recipe is a winner! And I'm really becoming a fan of herbs in baked goods!