Chocolate Chip with a Coffee Punch: Pan-Banging Molasses Espresso Cookies with Chocolate

I've become such a fan of Sarah Kieffer's pan-banging cookies that I didn't hesitate to try her recipe for  "Molasses-Espresso Cookies with Chocolate" when I came across it in The Cookie Collection. The recipe is straightforward. You beat softened butter with sugar until fluffy; add molasses, egg, and vanilla; mix in flour, ground espresso, salt, and baking soda; and stir in chocolate (I used Callebaut 2815 dark chocolate 57.7% callets). 

You can bake the dough immediately (actually, the version of the recipe in The Cookie Collection instructs you to scoop the cookies and freeze them for 15 minutes before baking, but the otherwise identical recipe on Kieffer's website doesn't include this step, so I skipped it). I used a #16 scoop to portion out the dough and got 15 cookies from a batch. I baked the cookies on foil-lined baking sheets, banging the pan on the oven rack every two minutes during the last half of the baking time. 
This cookie is another pan-banging hit. I couldn't taste the molasses (there are only two tablespoons of molasses per batch), but these were delicious chocolate chip cookies with a nice hit of coffee flavor from the ground espresso. And they had the wonderful texture I love in pan-banging cookies -- crisp just around the edges and very chewy in the center. Plus, I thought they were gorgeous. I loved them. 

Recipe: "Pan-Banging Molasses Espresso Cookies with Chocolate" by Sarah Kieffer, available in The Cookie Collection, Bake From Scratch Volume 3, and on her blog.

Comments

Sally said…
These look awesome! How long did you bake for, total?
Hi Sally! The first time I made these (with a #16 scoop) I didn't note any specific baking time, which means it must have fallen within the range listed in the recipe (14-15 minutes). I made these again later with a slightly smaller scoop (#20) and noted that the baking time for those was 13 minutes.