A Truffle Worth the Trouble: Dulce de Leche Cake Truffles

For my colleague Annette's wedding shower, I wanted to bring something in addition to a sheet cake, so I decided to make the Dulce de Leche Cake Truffles from Christina Tosi's All About Cake as well. I love the fact that you can make cake truffles far in advance, so I didn't have to deal with making both the cake truffles and the sheet cake at the same time. The truffles have dulce de leche cake crumbs mixed with a dulce de leche soak, coated in white chocolate and milk sand.

I used Nestlé La Lechera dulce de leche for this recipe. The cake is similar to all of the other Christina Tosi cakes that I've made. You cream softened butter with sugar; add dulce de leche; add eggs and an egg yolk; stream in a mixture of buttermilk, oil, and vanilla; and add the dry ingredients (cake flour, baking powder, and salt). There is a lot of mixing time required. I poured the batter into a parchment-lined 9-inch by 13-inch to pan and got a dark golden cake that was perfectly level.
After the cake was cooled, I broke it up into crumbs and added the dulce de leche soak, which is a mixture of dulce de leche and evaporated milk. Then I formed the mixture into balls using a #60 scoop, coated the truffle centers with melted Cacao Barry Zéphyr Caramel chocolate, and rolled the truffles in milk sand made from flour, milk powder, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and butter. I kept the truffles in the fridge until the party, but I kept my own personal stash in the freezer because I prefer to eat cake truffles when they are super cold. These truffles were freakin' delicious.

I think these might be my favorite cake truffles so far -- although perhaps it's a tie between these and the Mint Cookie and Cream Cake Truffles. The flavor of the dulce de leche really comes through but the truffles are not overly sweet. They were a huge hit at the party. While there are many more varieties of cake truffles that I want to try from All About Cake, I'm sure that I will come back to these again and again.

Recipe: "Dulce de Leche Cake Truffles" from All About Cake by Christina Tosi.

Previous Posts:

Comments