Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: Annette and Wesley's Wedding Shower

I was delighted to be able to make a cake for a wedding shower for my colleague Annette and her fiancé Wesley. I kept the cake design pretty simple. The week before the shower, I started making edible lace. Edible lace looks so impressive but is not difficult to make. I used this water lily blossom lace mat and Martellato Sugar Dress lace mix. I let my lace air-dry for about twelve hours at room temperature instead of drying it in the oven. Since I only have one lace mat with this design, I had to make the lace over several days, although it only required a few minutes of active time. Fortunately, the lace stores well and remains pliable if you keep it in a Ziploc bag.

The night before the shower the only things I had to do before assembling the cake were to make a sugar syrup to soak the cake layers (which I also flavored with St-Germain) and make fondant. I decided to color the fondant I used to cover the cake light yellow just so the white lace would stand out a little more.
With the lace and fondant prepared, it wasn't that much work to finish the cake. I adhered the lace with some edible glue that I made in advance from tylose powder and water. The final cake weighed a ton, so fortunately another colleague who drives to the office was kind enough to pick it up from my house on the way to work, because there's no way I could have managed it on the subway.

Even though the design wasn't elaborate, I was happy with the way that the cake turned out. And most importantly, I was grateful to have the opportunity to help celebrate Annette and Wesley!

Recipes: "Base Formula for White Butter Cake," "Mousseline Buttercream," and "Classic Rolled Fondant" from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

Previous Posts:

Comments