Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: A Wedding Shower for Connor and Megan

I volunteered to provide the cake for a wedding shower my former office hosted for one of its investigators and his fiancée. I asked the party organizer if Connor, the guest of honor, had any cake flavor preferences and I was informed he likes lemon (I should have guessed -- he also requested Arnold Palmer cookies). That happened to work out perfectly, because I was making a lemon cake for Alexander's birthday just two days before the wedding shower. So I made a single massive batch of lemon curd and lemon mousseline sufficient for both cakes (you can keep mousseline in the fridge for ten days).
I wasn't given any specific instructions on cake design, so I used a lace fondant mold from Wilton that I bought on impulse at Michael's because it was on clearance. (Last year Michael's opened a location in Chevy Chase that is walking distance from my house, so I now often pop in pretty regularly.)

I love making celebration cakes but at the wedding shower the cake was really beside the point. It was a warm celebration of collegiality and love that gave me all the feels.

Recipes: "Base Formula for White Butter Cake," "Mousseline Buttercream (Fruit Mousseline Variation with Lemon Curd)," "Lemon Curd," and "Classic Rolled Fondant" from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

Comments