Pure Rainbow Joy: Chocolate Sprinkle Sugar Cookies

The moment I saw a photo of Erin Clarkson's Chocolate Sprinkle Sugar Cookies on her Cloudy Kitchen blog, I knew I had to try the recipe. The cookies were so exuberantly joyful that I couldn't resist. And while I'm indifferent about sprinkles (i.e. jimmies) on baked goods, I love all things crunchy and that includes nonpareils.

The recipe is straightforward. You cream room temperature butter with sugar; add an egg and vanilla; and add the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt). My dough was slightly soft, but I was able to scoop it out immediately; I used a #40 scoop and got 24 cookies from a batch. I rolled each cookie in nonpareils before putting it on a parchment-lined pan to bake.
This recipe required a lot of nonpareils. I made a triple batch of cookies and used an entire pound of nonpareils; after I ran out I had to use some rainbow jimmies for the last few cookies. So if you're making a single batch, I would plan on using around 150 grams nonpareils. Of course, a fair number of nonpareils ended up on the baking sheets, the counter, the kitchen floor, and in every nook and cranny you can imagine. But the mess was completely worth it.

I loved the way these cookies looked, with their cracked tops and rainbow colors. But more important, they tasted even better than they looked. They had a rich and deeply chocolate-y flavor and the perfect sugar cookie texture. And, of course, the nonpareils do double duty. Not only do they add vibrant color, but they also give every bite a delightful sweet crunch. These cookies would be wonderful even without any decoration, but the nonpareils absolutely put them over the top.

These cookies were so good that I immediately re-upped my supply of nonpareils so that I can make them again. They are pure joy.

Recipe: "Chocolate Sprinkle Sugar Cookies" by Erin Clarkson of Cloudy Kitchen.

Comments

Louise said…
Did the cookies turn out OK with jimmies? Obviously not the same crunch. I have a huge assortment of jimmies but no nonpareils at all. I also have a big collection of brightly colored sugar crystals which I use on vanilla sugar cookies.
Oddly enough, the cookies with jimmies also did not spread as much, so they did not look as nice and had a slightly different texture. I wonder if sugar crystals would be better?