Rhubarb + Custard to Go: Rhubarb Slices with Sour Cream Topping

I have visited a farmers market only once since the pandemic started. While markets are open around here, it's not quite the same; many have pre-ordering systems and the Dupont Circle market even has reserved shopping times. Plus, there are several markets I used to visit regularly because they were close to my office -- but I haven't been to my office or anywhere near downtown DC since mid-March. So I had to resort to buying rhubarb at Whole Foods this year.

I decided to try a rhubarb recipe from my Dr. Oetker German Baking Today cookbook. I know that rhubarb and custard are a classic pairing, and these bars have a base of vanilla butter cake topped with rhubarb and a layer of custard mixed with crème fraîche. I didn't have any crème fraîche and used the suggested substitution of sour cream.

To make the cake, you beat softened butter with sugar and vanilla; incorporate eggs; and mix in flour and baking powder. I also threw in a pinch of salt. The recipe calls for a 12-inch by 16-inch pan and I used two 9-inch square pans instead. I divided the batter between the two parchment-lined pans, sprinkled on pieces of rhubarb, and put the pans in the oven to bake.
While the cakes were in the oven, I made the topping. First, I made custard using Bird's custard powder. Since this recipe is from a Dr. Oetker cookbook, it of course calls for Dr. Oetker pudding mix, but since the pudding mix and Bird's are both mostly cornstarch and I had a canister of Bird's in the cupboard, I figured the two products were probably fungible. You make the custard extra thick on the stove, stir in crèeme fraîche or sour cream while the custard is hot, spread the mixture on the partially baked cake, and put the cake back in the oven.

Unfortunately, when I put the custard-topped cakes in the oven, I punched the baking time into my digital timer but forgot to press the start button. So I lost track of how long the cakes had been in the oven and had to to guess when they were done. I decided to err on the side of the custard being overdone because I didn't want to end up with a runny topping.

When I sliced the bars after they were completely cooled, I discovered that the custard layer was overdone and a bit rubbery. And the custard had a distinct and particularly bright, almost unnatural, yellow-orange-ish skin (Bird's custard powder contains annatto coloring). Nonetheless, the custard-sour cream topping was quite tasty, and I liked the fact that this cake had a creamy topping built in. The cookbook suggests serving the slices with whipped cream, and while I'm sure that would be delicious, I think the bars don't need anything else.

There's a generous amount of rhubarb in these bars (750 grams) and there was essentially a solid layer of of rhubarb between the cake and custard, so the flavor of the rhubarb definitely came through. These bars are basically rhubarb and custard in an easy-to-eat bar form, and I liked them immensely. With a slight softer-set custard layer, they would have been even better.

Recipe: "Rhubarb Slices with Crème Fraîche Topping" from German Baking Today by Dr. Oetker.

Previous Posts:

Comments