Hearty and Bright, a Simple Delight: Rhubarb, Marzipan, and Citrus Cake

I'm still doing a lot of baking with rhubarb since it's in season. I also have a lot of marzipan on hand, so I decided to try a recipe from BBC Good Food for a Rhubarb, Marzipan, and Citrus Cake.

To prepare the rhubarb, you slice it into chunks and macerate them with some sugar. Then you make the batter by creaming softened butter with sugar (the recipe calls for golden caster sugar and I used Barbados sugar that I ran through the food processor), lemon zest, and orange zest; add eggs; and mix in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cornmeal, almond flour, and salt -- I added extra baking powder since I used all-purpose flour instead of self-raising). You fold in half of the rhubarb (and all of the accumulated juices) and chopped marzipan. After you spread the batter into a parchment-lined pan, you put the remaining rhubarb on top. I sprinkled on some sanding sugar just for good measure.
All of the rhubarb that I had placed on top of the batter sank into the cake during baking, but the upper crust of the cake was beautifully golden brown with pretty sparkles from the sugar. I let the cake cool completely in the pan before cutting and serving it. While there was rhubarb throughout the cake, all of the marzipan and sunk to the bottom.

The almond flavor in this cake is as prominent as the rhubarb, and the cake was delicious with bright notes from the citrus. The cornmeal and almond flour gave the cake a hearty texture that wasn't overly heavy, and the crunchy sugar crust on top was wonderful. I kept the cake in the refrigerator -- because I always worry about rhubarb desserts getting soggy -- and I thought it tasted great cold. This cake was simple but satisfying.

Recipe: "Rhubarb, Marzipan, and Citrus Cake" from BBC Good Food.

Previous Posts:

Comments