Exceptionally Fine and Just Okay: White Chocolate Rhubarb Downside-Up Cake

I finished up my rhubarb baking binge with Julie Richardson's "White Chocolate Rhubarb Downside-Up Cake" from Vintage Cakes. The recipe is meant to be baked in a 9-inch round pan but I doubled it and baked it in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan. The first step is to make caramel by cooking sugar with water and lemon juice until it is amber, and then finishing off the caramel with some butter. I also threw in a pinch of salt even though the recipe doesn't call for it. I poured the caramel into the parchment-lined pan and it set up pretty quickly. Then I neatly arranged thin slices of rhubarb on top to cover the entire bottom of the pan.

This cake uses a high-ratio mixing method even though it's not a high-ratio cake (it contains more flour than sugar by weight). You put all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt) into a bowl; mix in softened butter and buttermilk; add eggs and vanilla; and pour in white chocolate that has been combined with boiling water. I splurged and used some Valrhona Ivoire 35% for the recipe. I spread the batter over the rhubarb and carmel in the pan, baked the cake, and let it cool for an hour before unmolding it.
When I turned out the cake, quite a bit of liquid caramel came pouring out. Also, the top (the side with the rhubarb) cracked in a few places. This is because the cake was taller in the middle than it was around the edges and it was still warm when I unmolded it -- so when I inverted the cake onto a cutting board it flexed and caused some tears. In retrospect, I wish I had waited until the cake was done cooling before unmolding it. Fortunately, the cracks were relatively straight lines. After the cake was completely cool, I trimmed the uneven edges of the cracks to clean them up a bit. The cake was none the worse for wear and I lost very little cake. While I was trimming up the jagged edges, I noticed that the cake had an exceptionally fine crumb and that I could slice off paper thin slivers.

The cake itself was really good. It had a fine and delicate texture, but a distinct richness from the white chocolate (although I would say that when it comes to white chocolate cake, Rose Levy Beranbaum's White Chocolate Whisper Cake is superior). Nonetheless, this was my least favorite rhubarb dessert from this season. I thought the caramel-rhubarb topping was cloyingly sweet and didn't pair well with the white chocolate cake. But that's okay -- I got my fill of delicious rhubarb desserts this spring!

Recipe: "White Chocolate Rhubarb Downside-Up Cake" from Vintage Cakes by Julie Richardson.

Previous Posts:

Comments