I often just toss my paper copy of Bon Appétit aside when it arrives in the mail. The magazine tends to have very few baking recipes and I swear the issues just keep getting thinner and more lacking in substance as time goes on. But perhaps I shouldn't dismiss it so quickly, because I would have missed Sarah Jampel's recipe for Strawberry Doughnut Muffiins from the September 2021 issue if it hadn't popped up in my social media feed.
I hate frying but I enjoy making (and eating!) baked doughnuts and doughnut-like things, whether they are baked in the shape of doughnuts, muffins, or cakes. These doughnuts don't have any strawberry in the batter itself, but they are filled with berry jam and rolled in strawberry sugar. I made the doughnut batter by beating softened butter with refined coconut oil, sugar, and brown sugar until smooth; adding eggs; mixing in baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla; and alternately adding in flour and sour cream.
I put a small scoop of batter into each well of a greased muffin tin and tried to make a little indentation. I put a dollop of jam (I used Bonne Maman intense red fruits preserves) on top of the batter, dropped more batter on top, and tried my best to fully enclose the jam inside the batter. This was challenging and I was not successful in keeping all of the jam away from the sides of the pan.
I coated some of the muffins in raspberry sugar (because I had had an open bag of freeze-dried raspberries after making Sarah Kieffer's Raspberry White Chocolate Brownies), and some in strawberry sugar; the raspberry sugar was a more vibrant ruby jewel tone, while the strawberry sugar was a paler pink. In the photo above, the lighter row of muffins in the middle are coated in strawberry sugar and the rest are covered in raspberry sugar.
I love the fact that freeze-dried fruit has become so widely accessible and less expensive. It can add so much impact to baked goods -- giving you as much (or more) flavor as fresh fruit, with far less effort.
Recipe: "Strawberry Doughnut Muffins" by Sarah Jampel, from Bon Appétit.
- "A Cake So Good You Can Literally Feel It: Powdered Donut Cake," January 4, 2021.
- "A Good Reason to Break Out the Custard Powder: Nutmeg Custard Cake Doughnuts," November 25, 2020.
- "I Failed Jam, but the Cake Is a Win!: Sugared Jam Cake," August 27, 2020.
- "A Breakfast Mixed Bag: Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts and Whipped Cream Scones," May 11, 2019.
- "A Doughnut and a Cuppa Joe, Easy to Take on the Go: Coffee Doughnut Muffins," August 4, 2014.
- "The New-Fashioned Way to Classic Doughnut Taste: Doughnut-Muffin Doughnuts," May 27, 2013.
- "Out of the Frying Pan, Baked Goods Inspire: Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts," October 31, 2012.