The New-Fashioned Way to Classic Doughnut Taste: Doughnut-Muffin Doughnuts

A while ago I bookmarked a recipe from King Arthur Flour for doughnut muffins; I'm not generally a fan of muffins, but doughnut flavor in a muffin seemed like a delicious idea. But now that I own some doughnut pans, the recipe seemed like an even better idea!

This recipe is quick and easy. You cream butter, vegetable oil, sugar, and brown sugar; add eggs; stir in baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla; and alternately add in flour and milk. While you can pour the batter into a muffin tin, you can also use a doughnut pan. I find that putting the batter into a piping bag (no tip necessary) is the easiest way to neatly fill the circular molds. After a quick 10-minute bake, I turned the doughnuts out of the pan and shook them in a bag with some Penzey's cinnamon sugar while they were still warm. The doughnuts were a light golden color coming out of the oven, but the cinnamon-sugar coating made them a darker brown (and, not surprisingly, almost identical looking to the baked pumpkin doughnuts that I tossed in the same cinnamon-sugar).

I tried a doughnut warm from the oven and it was absolutely delicious. A gentle touch of nutmeg in an incredibly soft and tender cake, with a lovely light crunch and warm cinnamon flavor from cinnamon-sugar coating. Fantastic! I was delighted that the doughnuts kept well and were equally delicious the following day. I'm not going to pretend that you can't tell the difference between a fried doughnut and baked one. That said, I honestly think that these doughnuts -- like the baked pumpkin cake doughnuts from King Arthur Flour -- are every bit as delicious as a fried doughnut and just as satisfying.

Recipe: "Doughnut Muffins" from King Arthur Flour.

Previous Posts:

Comments