Regular and Not Out of the Ordinary: Snickerdoodles

I love Sarah Kieffer's pan-banging snickerdoodles. I even thought they were delicious when I accidentally left out the nutmeg and cream of tartar the first time I made them, and the subsequent batches I've made with all of the ingredients were even better! So I figured I should give Kieffer's regular, i.e. non-pan banging, snickerdoodle recipe a try.

To make the batter, you cream softened butter and shortening with sugar until light and fluffy; add an egg, egg yolk, and vanilla; and incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt). You scoop out the dough (I used a #30 scoop and got 27 cookies from a batch), roll each cookie in cinnamon-sugar, and bake.
I thought the baked cookies were gorgeous, with attractive cracked tops that were accentuated by the color contrast with the cinnamon sugar. They also had a nice crisp exterior and the ideal chewy and light snickerdoodle texture inside. These were perfectly good snickerdoodles, but I didn't think the flavor was anything particularly memorable; I prefer Kieffer's pan-banging version. As far as a traditional snickerdoodle goes, my go-to recipe is probably the brown butter snickerdoodle from Baked Elements. For me, these regular snickerdoodles were just ordinary.
 
Recipe: "Snickerdoodles" from 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer. 
 
Previous Posts

Comments