Too Vanilla?: White Chocolate Brownies

I decided to try Sarah Kieffer's recipe for "White Chocolate Brownies" after Dafna from Stellina Sweets raved about them. Dafna made them with Valrhona Dulcey, which is great stuff -- but I don't use Valrhona because it's so expensive, especially given the quantities of chocolate that I use. I normally bake with Cacao Barry, and recently I've started using Callebaut as well; both companies are owned by Barry Callebaut. So I decided to make the brownies using Callebaut Gold pistoles, which are caramel white chocolate.
 
To make the brownie batter, you whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla; incorporate white chocolate that has been melted with butter in a double boiler; and stir in flour, salt, and baking powder. You pour the batter into a parchment-lined pan to bake.
I liked the lightly fudgy texture of these brownies, which was rich without being too heavy. And they had a nice vanilla-caramel flavor. However, I was slightly underwhelmed. I thought they would really benefit from some nuts, or intact chocolate pistoles, or something else mixed in to make them a bit more interesting. Kieffer has several recipes in 100 Cookies that are variations on this base recipe, including white chocolate brownies with a dark chocolate swirl, a raspberry swirl, and toasted sesame caramel. This recipe is a great foundation, so I'm looking forward to trying all of the variations!
 
Recipe: "White Chocolate Brownies" from 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer. 

Comments