My nephew Josh specifically requested a vanilla cake with strawberries for his birthday last month, and it just so happened that while I was trying to select a cake recipe, Joanne Chang was featuring the Strawberries and Cream Chiffon Cake from Pastry Love in Week 11 of her "Flour Love" Instagram bakealong series. I kept seeing beautiful pictures of the cake on Instagram, so I decided I had to jump on the bandwagon.
I didn't get a chance to taste this cake, because I simply dropped it off with Josh. It has two layers of vanilla chiffon cake that are soaked with vanilla syrup, and filled and frosted with sweetened whipped cream. There is a layer of sliced macerated strawberries between the two cake layers, as well as piled on top of the cake.
I thought this cake was beautiful, and even though I didn't get a chance to taste the finished product, I'm pretty confident that it tasted as good as it looked. I hope I get a chance to make this cake again soon!
Recipe: "Strawberries and Cream Chiffon Cake" from Pastry Love by Joanne Chang.
Previous Birthday Cakes for Josh:
- "Josh Is Still Ten!: Classic White Layer Cake with Butter Frosting and Raspberry-Almond Filling," October 15, 2019.
- "Josh Turns Ten!: BraveTart's Double-Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Swiss Buttercream," September 11, 2019.
- "White Cake for the Dark Side: White Mountain Cake with Marshmallow Buttercream," September 2, 2018.
- "Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: Josh Turns Nine!," August 17, 2018.
- "Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: Josh Turns Eight," August 22, 2017.
- "Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: Josh Turns Seven," August 8, 2016.