Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: Josh Turns Nine!

I got a request for a baseball-themed birthday cake for my cousin's son Josh, and I decided to make all of the decorations from fondant. In retrospect, I'm not sure that was the best idea. Covering the cake in white fondant wasn't difficult, but hand cutting and placing each of the individual stitches took a long time -- and as you can see, the stitches are a bit wonky and uneven. Piping the stitching with frosting would be been a lot faster... But then again, I'm not very steady with a pastry bag, so there's a decent chance that frosting stitches would have looked worse!
I had leftover red fondant after making all of the stitches so I decided to make the text red as well. The color scheme was pretty boring, but I thought the cake was recognizable as a baseball, so I was happy with the way it turned out!

Recipes: "White Velvet Butter Cake," "Mousseline Buttercream," and "Classic Rolled Fondant," from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

Previous Birthday Cakes for Josh:

Comments