From Cookie to Spread to Bar: Biscoff-White Chocolate Blondies

It's no secret that I love Biscoffs. Since I discovered Stella Park's amazing recipe for Homemade Biscoff, I no longer buy the cookies at the store (although I will certainly accept a pack when offered to me on an airplane), but I do buy Biscoff Cookie Butter. It's so dang good.

I've been rummaging through the pantry more than usual during the pandemic, and when I spotted a brand new jar of Biscoff spread in the back of a cabinet, I decided I should use it in baking project. Because the alternative would be eating copious amounts on toast, or with a spoon. I went with a recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction for Biscoff-White Chocolate Blondies.

This recipe comes together quickly and doesn't require a mixer. You stir together melted butter and brown sugar; add an egg, egg yolk, and vanilla; stir in Biscoff spread; fold in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt); and stir in white chocolate chips. I used Cacao Barry Zéphyr 34% pistoles, which are flat discs that are larger than regular chocolate chips. I briefly contemplated chopping the pistoles before stirring them in, but I was feeling lazy and decided not to bother. I spread the batter in a parchment-lined 8-inch square pan to bake.
The edges of the bar ended up much taller much than the center after baking. When I cut the cooled bars, I thought that the generous amount of white chocolate pistoles looked like macadamia nuts. These bars were sweet and tasted very much like Biscoff cookies -- but with a rich blondie texture and the extra richness of creamy, milky, white chocolate. In retrospect, I wish I had cut the chocolate into smaller pieces, because I think the white chocolate was almost overwhelming. Actually, I'm not even sure these bars need chocolate at all -- macadamia nuts or some other type of nut might be nice to add some crunch and salt. Or caramelized white chocolate would be another interesting option.

My tasters raved about these bars. I strongly preferred the firmer and chewier edge pieces, but I always prefer the edges and corners of bars. I wouldn't say that these bars are better than Biscoffs (store bought or homemade), because I love the airy, crisp texture of a Biscoff cookie. But if you want the flavor of Biscoffs in an over-the-top bar, this recipe will give you exactly that!

Recipe: "Biscoff White Chocolate Blondies" from Sally's Baking Addiction.

Previous Posts:

Comments