Baked Sunday Mornings: Speculaas

This week's assignment for Baked Sunday Mornings is a Belgian biscuit that I already know and love: speculaas. This was one of the first recipes I made from Baked Explorations, and it was love at first taste. I've even done a side-by-side comparison with Biscoffs, and the speculaas can hold their own. But since the speculaas were on the baking schedule, I thought that I would take the opportunity to run a little experiment, to see how adding a little baker's ammonia might affect the cookies.

Baker's ammonia can give cookies a very crisp, dry texture (e.g., as it does for the vanilla dreams cookies from King Arthur flour). Homemade speculaas are crisp, but they definitely do not have the same airy super-crisp texture as real a Biscoff. The problem is, you can't just substitute baker's ammonia for other types of leavening and still expect the recipe to work. The speculaas recipe in Baked Explorations calls for 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and I decided to see what would happen if I added 1/4 teaspoon of baker's ammonia in addition to the baking soda. I also added a splash of milk (probably about 2 teaspoons), because I wanted to dissolve the ammonia in milk to ensure that it would be evenly distributed throughout the batter. To have a basis for comparison, I also made a batch of speculaas following the original recipe, with no ammonia.

The dough with the ammonia and milk was softer, stickier, and more difficult to roll and cut. I used a fluted biscuit cutter, but the cookies from the ammonia batch did not keep their shape as well. As you can see from the picture below, the fluted edges did not hold during baking.

Tasted head-to-head, the difference between the original recipe and the ammonia speculaas was subtle, but real. The ammonia version definitely had an airier, crispier texture that was closer to a real Biscoff, but still far from the same. On a whim, I asked my friend Jim to do a taste test without telling him what the difference was between the two batches of biscuits. He recruited a few others to join in, and three out of four tasters preferred the ammonia version. Strangely enough, none of the tasters detected any difference in texture between the two variations; they all thought the difference between the two cookies was the flavor. Tom also prefers the ammonia version, but I am fairly ambivalent -- they are both very tasty, and the difference with the ammonia is so slight that it is immaterial to how much I enjoy the cookies.

If I could figure out how the adjust the recipe to make the speculaas as crisp and light as a real Biscoff, I would do it in a heartbeat. But until that happens, I'm perfectly happy to keep making and eating these delicious cookies just the way the recipe is written!

Recipe: "Speculaas," from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafio, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Kris' Kitchen said…
What a fun post! Love your comparison. I think your cookies look perfect. I also cut out a few cookies with a rippled edge, but during the baking process those and the straight edge became the same. Your cookies do look puffier than mine, however...more like the real thing. We like these cookies at our house.
Louise said…
I feel responsible for pulling you into the rabbit hole of "baker's ammonia". I don't think you needed to dissolve it in milk. Just make sure it's finely crushed, if necessary, and combine it with the flour, salt, etc. It can be swapped for baking soda or baking powder in an equal amount. I might use slightly less. In Nick Malgieri's "Cookies Unlimited" there's a Crisp Coconut Cookie recipe which uses baker's ammonia and that's all he does. I have several hundred-year-old cook books with some recipes and that's mostly what they do too. One calls for "5 cents baker's ammonia" and I'm not sure what quantity that means. :-)
Jaime said…
Bakers Ammonia... I have never really used it before. Maybe I should investigate :) I loved these too, so delicious.
Louise said…
I forgot to ask if you have found a use for Biscoff Spread. It doesn't seem right to just spread it on toast, and I've been thinking of using it in a small sandwich cookie but that's really not any different.
Nina said…
Bakers ammonia. Interesting. I've never heard of anything like that. I do enjoy the real cookies, but this has got to be one of the only crispy cookies that I've enjoyed. Glad to know that there are other options out there for people who can't have leavening.
Lorraine said…
Love you comparison! I think I would like these if they were a bit lighter and airier. I have never used baker's ammonia. I'm actually not sure I have even heard of it!
Crystal said…
I Love the look of your cookies! These really came out great. Loved the story of the comparison experiment-very interesting.
Tessa said…
I don't know that I've ever encountered anything calling for bakers ammonia, but your taste test sounds intriguing!
I love all your comparisons. Taste tests are so fun. I have never heard of bakers amonia, so interesting to read about the results of your side by side tests. I actually read your two earlier posts before I made my cookies just to get a sense of what to expect. I was hoping these would be similar to the Delta cookie, but unfortunately I didn't care for the flavor of the speculaas. Maybe I should give them another chance. ;)
Susan said…
I've never heard of bakers ammonia, either. I loved these and will definitely make them again.