Baked Sunday Mornings: Malted Milk Chocolate Sauce

The recipe on the schedule for Baked Sunday Mornings this week was blissfully simple -- you can make the Malted Milk Chocolate Sauce in a few minutes on the stove. The recipe calls for chocolate malt Ovaltine, which I didn't have. But I do keep Carnation malted milk powder on hand, and I figured that if I used a 50-50 mix of cocoa powder and Carnation malted milk that it would come close to chocolate malt Ovaltine.

To make the sauce, you cook heavy cream, corn syrup, chocolate malt Ovaltine, brown sugar, salt, and milk chocolate (I used Cacao Barry Lactée Supérieure 38%) until the mixture comes to a boil; simmer the mixture for five minutes; and finish off the sauce with butter, vanilla, and more milk chocolate. You let the sauce cool for a few minutes before using it.
As I'm writing this post, I realize that I completely forgot to add the brown sugar. But I can say that it didn't matter in the slightest. The sauce was absolutely delicious. I enjoyed it over a scoop of Bravetart's Fior di Latte Gelato, and the sauce was so thick that it coated the ice cream instead of just running off the sides of the ice cream. I had actually thinned out the sauce with a little extra cream as it was cooling on the stove, because it looked like it getting too thick. For me, the final consistency was perfect. I love a warm chocolate sauce on cold ice cream where the sauce is stretchy and even a little chewy. And that's exactly what this sauce was. It was surprisingly chocolate-y. If I didn't know that I had used milk chocolate I would have guessed that the sauce was made with bittersweet. I could barely taste the malt, so perhaps my ad hoc Ovaltine substitution wasn't quite on point. But even with my unintentional omission and malted milk substitution, I couldn't have been happier with the way this sauce turned out.

Recipe: "Malted Milk Chocolate Sauce" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments