Baked Sunday Mornings: Vanilla Bean Affogato

The recipe on the Baked Sunday Mornings schedule for today is Monster Cookies, an oatmeal-peanut butter cookie with chocolate chips and M&Ms. I have made the monster cookies many times over the years and I love them. Since I already blogged about the recipe here back in 2010, I'm going rogue this week and skipping to the next recipe on the baking schedule, the Vanilla Bean Affogato from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking.

The reason I chose this recipe is that I've been dying to try Stella Parks' recipe for Fior di Latte Gelato, a gelato that showcases the flavor of milk and contains only five ingredients: sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk, and cream. Trickling Springs organic milk and heavy cream is readily available around here at Whole Foods, so I splurged on them for the gelato (I have always wondered who would pay $7 for a pint of cream, plus a $2 bottle deposit... It turns out it's me, since Stella emphasizes that it's critical to use premium dairy from grass-fed cows). Anyway, this is a post about the affogato and not the gelato, but suffice it to say that I wholeheartedly recommend the Fior di Latte Gelato, which is unbelievably creamy and unlike any ice cream I've ever tasted before.
I love affogatos. Even though I am not a regular coffee drinker I love the sweet creamy taste of coffee ice cream, and espresso mixed with ice cream evokes similar flavors. And because they are so easy to make, we have often served affogatos at our annual holiday party. For this recipe, I made a shot of espresso (a breeze using our Nespresso machine), stirred in some scraped vanilla bean seeds, and poured it over a scoop of gelato.

The affogato was decadently delicious and since it was essentially a coffee drink, I didn't feel too guilty about having one for breakfast. I would enjoy one of these at any time of day, and I think that the combination of espresso with the milk gelato in particular might be the absolute ideal form of this dessert.

Recipes:
Previous Posts:

Comments

Sally said…
YUM! I made her stracciatella - it was DIVINE. I couldn't find grass-fed cream anywhere, and used Divine chocolate instead of her crazy $$$ recommendation, but it was all still delicious.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/08/stracciatella-gelato-sweet-cream-chocolate-chip.html
Oh, I want to try this one too (I would also probably skip the single origin chocolate)... Stella has posted so many delicious-looking ice cream recipes lately!