The Simple and Sophisticated Corn Cookie: Poilâne's Corn Sablés

Because I had corn flour on hand after baking Christina Tosi's Corn and Blueberry Sheet Cake, I had everything I needed to make Poliâne's Corn Sablés. The recipe comes from Apollonia Poilâne of Poilâne bakery in Paris, and was featured in Dorie Greenspan's column in The New York Times Magazine.

The dough is a breeze to make. You beat sugar, an egg, and an egg yolk until pale and creamy; add softened butter; and mix in all-purpose flour and corn flour. You shape the dough into two disks, wrap them in plastic, and chill them for at least 30 minutes. I rolled out the chilled dough to a thickness of one-quarter inch and I used a 2.25-inch diameter cutter to cut out rounds; I got 39 cookies from each batch of dough. The dough was extremely well behaved and the cookies were perfectly round and maintained their precise shape during baking. My cookies were so uniform that they didn't even look homemade. Greenspan notes that the dough is well-suited for making fanciful cutouts, and I can see why.
I tried a cookie fresh out of the oven and thought it was kind of meh. But starting on day two, the cookies were so lovely. They were buttery and rich, with a perfect sturdy yet tender shortbread texture. The flavor of corn was prominent -- the cookies reminded me a bit of eating cornbread without any of the grit. We ate the cookies over several days and they didn't decline in quality. Somehow these cookies are dainty, delicate, and yet tremendously satisfying all at the same time. And the dough is so easy to handle that they're truly a pleasure to make. This cookie is something special.

Recipe: "Poliâne's Corn Sablés" from The New York Times Magazine.

Previous Post: "Accept No Substitutes: Corn Cookies," March 20, 2012.

Comments