It's All About the Fruit: Apricot Tart

When I still swimming in apricots from the farmers market in late July, David Lebovitz's Apricot Tart seemed like the perfect baking project. The tart has a butter crust filled with two whole pounds of fruit, topped with cinnamon-almond crumble.

The crust is a mixture of cool butter, sugar, egg yolks, flour, and salt. I pressed it into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch loose-bottom cheesecake pan. You freeze the crust briefly before blind baking it. I let the crust cool before adding the filling of quartered apricots, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and almond extract. It was a lot of filling and the layer of apricots was quite thick. Finally, I added a crumble topping I made in the food processor by blending almonds, flour, brown sugar, salt, and cubed chilled butter. I baked the tart until the topping was browned, adding a pie shield partway through because the top of edge of the crust was becoming quite dark.
I didn't have any problem getting the tart out of the pan or getting clean slices. The crust was nice and firm (as was the crumb topping), but the center of the tart was quite wet from all of the fruit; I kept the tart in the fridge for a day and thankfully the crust did not become soggy. This is the most apricot-centric dessert I've ever made. Eating a slice was like eating a pile of fresh, juicy, flavorful apricots, with a little crust underneath and a few big buttery crumbs on top. The tart is a lovely way to showcase the beautiful flavor of fresh apricots.

Recipe: "Apricot Tart" by David Lebovitz, adapted from My Paris Kitchen and available here at Leite's Culinaria.

Previous Posts:

Comments