This Tart Tart is Pretty Sweet: Lattice-Topped Apricot Tart

After making Verlet's Apricot Tart, I was still in an apricot mood and decided to make a Lattice-Topped Apricot Tart recipe from epicurious.com. This tart is layers of apricot upon apricot upon apricot -- apricot jam, apricot compote, and sliced apricots, all under a lattice top.

Like the Verlet tart, this recipe also has a very easy crust, no mixer or food processor required. You simply mix flour, sugar, and salt, rub in softened butter, and stir in egg yolks. You gather the dough into two disks, wrap them in plastic wrap, and let them rest (at room temperature!) for 30 minutes before assembling the tart.

The recipe says you should press the one disk of dough into the pan, but I rolled it out and it was very easy to handle; several of the epicurious.com reviews of this recipe mention difficulties with the crust, but I made this tart twice and both times the crust was a breeze. I chilled the lined tart pan briefly while I rolled out the second disk of dough between sheets of parchment and stuck it in the freezer to firm up. Then I retrieved the bottom crust from the refrigerator, spread on apricot jam, spooned on apricot compote (made by cooking apricots with a little sugar and a little water until the fruit softened), and arranged slices of fresh apricot on top. You can't see it clearly in the picture below, but the sliced apricots were beautifully arranged in neat concentric circles.

The final step was to cut the frozen rolled dough into strips and arrange them into a lattice that I brushed with egg wash and sprinkled with coarse sugar. While the tart was in the oven, the lattice strips sank and conformed to the shape of the fruit underneath.

I was a little apprehensive about how this tart would turn out, because the crust is not blind baked before adding the filling and I feared the crust might be soggy as a result -- but it wasn't at all! The only problem I had with the crust was that it stuck to the bottom of the tart pan in a couple of spots (this happened both times I made the tart). I might butter the pan or stick a parchment circle on the bottom to address this problem in the future.

The filling kept its shape well after I sliced the tart, and I thought the finished product looked great. The apricots don't have much sugar added and the filling is definitely tart -- the sweet crust is a nice pairing. I can't really say if this tart is better than the Verlet tart, because they are quite different. If you like almonds, the Verlet tart is pretty spectacular. But if you can't get enough of the tart flavor of apricots, then this might be the tart for you. Both are wonderful.

Recipe: "Lattice-Topped Apricot Tart" from epicurious.com.

Previous Post: "When Juicy Fruit Should Get the Boot: Verlet's Apricot Tart," July 29, 2013.

Comments