Not Everything Can Be Above Average: Zingerman's Lemon Poppy Seed Cake and Big O Cookies

This is going to be a quick post on a couple of recipes I made from Zingerman's Bakehouse for a going away party at work. It's going to be quick because I thought both recipes were just okay and not really worth a long discussion.

The first was a Lemon Poppy Seed cake, which is a variation of the Sour Cream Coffee Cake that I previously made and loved. The only differences between the two versions are that the lemon poppy seed cake: 1) doesn't have a nut filling; and 2) has lemon oil and poppy seeds added. I expected to enjoy the lemon poppy seed version as much as the original, but I didn't. It was fine, but nothing particularly memorable. I think the sour cream version was far superior.
The second recipe was the "Big O Cookies," which are oatmeal raisin cookies. This is a pretty straightforward oatmeal cookie recipe, although it also includes a healthy does of maple syrup, which the headnote says "adds an interesting and unexpected complexity of flavor." I used a mix of regular and golden jumbo flame raisins because that's what I had on hand. Like the cake, these cookies were perfectly fine -- but they didn't stand out from other oatmeal raisin cookies I've made.
In short, I don't think I'll be making either of these recipes again. But that's okay. Many of the other recipes I've tried from Zingerman's Bakehouse so far have been exceptional and I'm certain I'll find many other standouts as I continue to bake my way through it.

Recipes: "Sour Cream Coffee Cake (or Lemon Poppy Seed)" and "Big O Cookies" from Zingerman's Bakehouse by Amy Emberling and Frank Carollo.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Louise said…
I'm curious to try the Lemon Poppyseed Cake in "Sweet". It's just in a loaf pan, but they make it sound like a winner.
I definitely want to try that recipe! When I went to the talk by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh, Helen said that it was one of her favorites and that she had to convince Yotam to include it, because it was so straightforward and not "Ottolenghified" like the other recipes in the cookbook.
Raylene said…
I purchased a copy of SWEET, and wanted to make you aware there is a long list of corrections for the 1st US edition. Apparently, replacement copies will be made available through the publisher for people who purchased this cookbook. I thought this information might be useful to your readers. I hope you don't mind. Here is the link:
http://crownpublishing.com/SweetUpdate?ref=PRHD4C9DF701985&linkid=PRHD4C9DF701985&cdi=592BE340B4C6BF2FE0534FD66B0AD5BB&template_id=8352&aid=randohouseinc13136-20
Wow, that is a really long list -- I'm glad they're going to offer replacement copies. Thanks for the info!
Raylene said…
You're so welcome. If Louise hadn't mentioned the Lemon Poppyseed Cake, I would have never gone looking for the recipe and come across the info regarding the offer of a replacement book. Thanks, Louise! It's an incredibly generous offer from the publisher. I emailed for my replacement copy and it's absolutely legit as I am now in line for a free copy of the 2nd printing of SWEET.
Glad to be of help :)