Crispy, Chewy, Cinnamon-y and Sweet: Corner Bakery's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

Last week the Los Angeles Times Culinary S.O.S. column featured a recipe for Corner Bakery's Oatmeal Currant Cookies. I still have yet to find the perfect oatmeal cookie, so I was eager to give the recipe a try. I was especially looking forward to comparing the results to the Starbucks outrageous oatmeal cookie recipe (although I haven't actually tried an oatmeal cookie from either place, so maybe it's not really a fair taste test).

This cookie (which I made with raisins instead of currants) had a very distinctive texture. The outside of it was extremely crispy and the inside was super chewy. The recipe calls for a borderline ridiculous amount of cinnamon -- 3 tablespoons. I would have assumed this was a typo, except that the introduction to the recipe notes, "it may seem like there's a lot of cinnamon, but it balances nicely with the vanilla and fruit." I think the cookies definitely needed more raisins, as they ended up tasting more like a spice cookie than an oatmeal raisin cookie. I also thought these cookies were a little on the sweet side.

It was hard to compare these to the Starbucks oatmeal cookie -- the one from Starbucks was softer, had a lot more raisins, and was less cinnamon-y, although it's hard tell which one is better without a side-by-side comparison. I liked these cookies well enough, but I'm still looking for the perfect oatmeal raisin cookie recipe!

Recipe: "Corner Bakery's Oatmeal Currant Cookies," printed in the April 22, 2010 Los Angeles Times.

Previous Post: "Giving the Corporate Machine Credit Where Credit Is Due: the Outrageous Oatmeal Cookie," August 26, 2009.

Comments