Big Boys Give a Lot of Bang for Your Buck: Spanish Peanut Saucers

I was flipping through Carole Walter's Great Cookies when I came across her recipe for "Spanish Peanut Saucers," which reminded me that I had a couple pounds of Spanish peanuts on hand just waiting for the right baking project. This recipe is in the "Big Boys" chapter of the book, written to yield sixteen 4-inch cookies.

This is an easy recipe that requires no extra chilling or waiting times. You don't even have to wait for your butter to come to room temperature because the recipe calls for melted butter. To make the dough you mix melted butter with peanut butter (the recipe calls for creamy but I only had Super Chunk), sugar, egg whites, vanilla, and Spanish peanuts that have been run through a food processor with flour, baking soda, and salt.

You can use the dough immediately. You portion it out (I made my cookies slightly smaller than recommended and got 21 cookies using a #20 scoop; the recipe yields almost exactly one quart of dough), dip each cookie in egg white beaten with a little water, and then coat the cookie with more whole Spanish peanuts. This dough reminded me a lot of the dough for Alice Medrich's Salted Peanut Toffee Cookies; it was very soft and pliable without being sticky at all. After I arranged the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet, I sprinkled them with granulated sugar before baking.
My finished cookies still counted as "big boys," measuring three and a half inches across. I thought the cookies looked terrific, studded with red-skinned peanuts and topped with a sugar crust. This is an immensely satisfying cookie. It's perfectly chewy and richly flavored, with super crunchy peanuts inside and out, and an irresistible combination of sweet and salty flavors on top. I also liked the hefty size of this cookie and I wouldn't want to make them smaller -- this big boy is a big winner.

Recipe: "Spanish Peanut Saucers" from Great Cookies by Carole Walter.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Louise said…
I'm glad you made and enjoyed them. I've had this recipe marked for a long time and just don't get to them. I should buy some Spanish peanuts and bump them up my "to do" list.
I think you will like these, Louise -- they have a terrific goodness to work ratio!