A Sweet and Salty Ellipse: Salted Peanut Toffee Cookies

A few weeks ago I came home from work to find a copy of Alice Medrich's Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies waiting on our doorstep. I ordered the cookbook after trying Medrich's amazing Coconut Sticks. The book's arrival was perfectly timed because I had promised to make some cookies for a party at the office the following day but I hadn't selected a recipe yet. I quickly flipped through the cookbook and decided to try a cookie from the "Melt-in-Your-Mouth" section: Salted Peanut Toffee Cookies. It was the cookbook photo that drew me in, with its cute little oval-shaped golden cookies covered in chopped nuts.

You mix the dough by hand. First, you combine melted butter with brown sugar and granulated sugar. Then you whisk in an egg, vanilla, and chunky peanut butter, and incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt). The recipe specifies natural peanut butter, but I used Skippy Super Chunk. You chill the dough for a few hours before portioning out the dough, forming each piece into a log, and coating them in chopped toffee peanuts before baking. (I used honey roasted peanuts because that's what I had on hand.) The dough was soft and malleable but not sticky; I found it easiest to scoop out the dough, immediately press the balls of dough into the chopped peanuts, and then shape the cookies into a neat flat oval after I placed them on the lined baking pan. I purposely made my cookies large and got 22 cookies from a batch of dough using a #40 scoop.
The cookies spread quite a bit during baking but maintained an attractive neat shape. I had to bake my cookies a little longer than specified (21 minutes), but that was not surprising since my cookies were large. I love the way this cookie looks. The oval shape is unusual and eye catching, and the cookie developed dramatic cracks on top. I also thought this was a great tasting cookie. I can't say I would categorize it as "melt-in-your-mouth," but it's a moist, chewy, flavorful peanut butter cookie with wonderful texture from the nuts and a nice sweet-salty finish from the honey roasted peanut garnish.

I would absolutely recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a good peanut butter cookie. It tastes great and I am such a fan of the oval shape. I thought it was delicious with honey roasted peanuts but I imagine that toffee peanuts would be even better!

Recipe: "Salted Peanut Toffee Cookies" from Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich, recipe available here from Chowhound.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Louise said…
I baked these yesterday. They taste great but I didn't get the shape I was expecting. What started out as oblongs morphed into more circular forms. I made larger cookies too and got 24 cookies. The chopped honey roasted peanuts didn't want to stick to the little logs, so I ended up placing the flattened logs on the sheet and then pouring on some peanuts. But, in the end, all was good.