Where's the Spice in My Sugar Cookie?: Crystallized Ginger Cookies

When I was in Los Angeles earlier this month, I had to buy a large package of crystallized ginger so that I could make some ginger scones for my parents. I brought the unused portion back home with me to D.C., and when I was looking for a quick cookie recipe earlier this week I found a way to put it to use -- Susan Compoy's recipe for "Crystallized Ginger Cookies" from Celebrating with Julienne.

Described as a soft and slightly chewy cookie with a spicy ginger flavor, these cookies only have eight ingredients and the recipe is straightforward. You cream together softened butter and brown sugar, add an egg yolk, mix in chopped crystallized ginger, and then add in the sifted dry ingredients (flour, ground ginger, baking powder, salt). You can use the dough immediately. You scoop it out, flatten the cookies, and bake.

The recipe says it yields 12 cookies if you use a scant 1/4 cup of dough for each cookie; I made slightly smaller cookies with a #24 scoop and got 18 cookies from a batch. You are supposed to bake the cookies for about 10 minutes -- until they are very pale golden brown -- and the recipe admonishes you not to overbake them. I thought my cookies should bake in less time since I made them smaller, so I started checking them at eight minutes. But it took 15 minutes before they were set and took on any color at all.

The cookies were attractive and had a great chewy texture. And they were pretty good. But they didn't blow me away. Essentially, they tasted like sugar cookies with some crystallized ginger added in, and the balance of flavors didn't seem quite right. I found myself wishing that they were spicier, or more ginger-y, or more something. I love crystallized ginger, but the ingredient just doesn't shine here.

Recipe: "Crystallized Ginger Cookies" from Celebrating with Julienne by Susan Compoy.

Previous Posts:

Comments