More Crystallized Ginger = Ginger Scones

I had to find a way to use up the rest of the candied ginger I had purchased from Whole Foods, so I decided to try making ginger scones. Although I make scones regularly -- in a variety of sweet and savory flavors -- I had never made (or even tasted) a ginger scone before. I found a recipe on epicurious from Nancy Silverton, who commented that ginger scones are the best selling scone at La Brea Bakery.

The scone recipe wasn't anything particularly novel or different from other scone recipes I've made. The recipe is written to yield eight 3-inch round scones; I doubled the recipe and made 30 smaller wedge-shaped scones. The dough seemed a little dry and I was worried that the scones would come out tough. I was very pleasantly surprised when these came out light and buttery, with a tender melt-in-your mouth texture. The ginger flavor was pronounced, but not too spicy. All in all, it was an excellent scone, and a nice change of pace from the fruity flavors I usually make. I can't believe I never tried a ginger scone until now... I have really been missing out!

Recipe: Ginger Scones from Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery, available on epicurious.com.

Comments