I still work from home 100% of the time, and I miss my wonderful colleagues tremendously. Not just the countless daily casual interactions we used to have in the office, but also the times when we would gather together to celebrate milestones. It's always sad to say goodbye to a colleague at a going away or retirement party, but having these parties over Zoom seems so inadequate. While agency-wide parties are definitely out, some folks have been willing to organize and host smaller gatherings (outdoors, of course) to send off colleagues in person. For one of these bittersweet occasions, I decided to bake Buttermilk By Sam's White Chocolate Birthday Cookies. I mean, if a whole mess of rainbow sprinkles can't make people feel happy, what will?
This is a small batch recipe with a stated yield of eight cookies, but I tripled it. Surprisingly, it doesn't require a mixer. You melt butter with brown sugar and white chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water; cool the mixture until just warm to the touch; add salt, imitation vanilla, and an egg yolk; fold in cake flour; baking soda, sprinkles, and white chocolate; and chill the dough briefly before scooping it out. I used Callebaut Velvet callets for the white chocolate and I made my own mix of sprinkles by combining rainbow jimmies and several different colors of confetti sprinkles.
And of course I didn't let the three egg whites I had left over go to waste. I made a triple batch of Buttermilk by Sam's Small Batch Double Chunk Cookies, with Valrhona Caramelia caramelized milk chocolate. I thought they were the natural complement to the birthday cake cookies, and not only because making both recipes at the same time is an efficient use of eggs. I figured that between the birthday cake cookies and chocolate chunk cookies, I could offer something that would appeal to everyone.
Recipe: "One Yolk, Eight White Chocolate Birthday Cookies" from Buttermilk by Sam.
- "Funfetti in Bar Form: Birthday Cake Blondies," December 6, 2021.
- "One Egg White = Seven (or Eight!) Amazing Cookies: Small Batch Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies," April 23, 2021.
- "Sparkle and Joy: Vanilla Bean Sprinkle Sugar Cookies," December 11, 2020.
- "Holiday Party Small Bites: a Trio of Cake Truffles, Berry Meringues, Stamped Citrus Shortbread, and Peanut Candy Shortbread," January 7, 2020.
- "Liam Turns Ten: Baller Birthday Sheet Cake and Chocolate-Glazed Peanut Butter Mousse Cake," October 6, 2019.
- "Baked Sunday Mornings: Baked Ultimate Birthday Cake," May 10, 2015.
- "Imitation is the Clearest Form of Flattery," April 24, 2012.