No Oven, No Problem: No-Bake Peppermint Slice

One day in early May, my husband was making dinner and about to put something in the oven. He pulled on the oven handle and it wouldn't open. The self-clean latch had mysteriously locked itself shut, even though we hadn't run the self-clean cycle. I didn't know it at the time, but it would take more than a month to get a replacement latch and have our oven repaired, and in the meantime I had to limit myself to no-bake projects. 

While I can make a lot of caramels and cereal treats without an oven, I used the opportunity to try a lot of no-bake recipes that I might not otherwise attempt. First up was Erin Clarkson's "No-Bake Peppermint Slice," which has a chocolate-graham-coconut crust topped with peppermint icing and chocolate. There's nothing complicated about the recipe, but it requires several freezing/chilling steps, so you need a few hours to complete the bars. 

To make the crust, you pulse graham crackers with sugar, cocoa, and salt; transfer the mixture to a bowl and add shredded unsweetened coconut; mix in melted butter; and press the mixture into a parchment-lined pan. You put the crust in the freezer while you make the peppermint icing, which is a mixture of powdered sugar, room temperature butter, peppermint extract, vanilla paste, and boiling water. I spread the peppermint icing on the cold crust and chilled the bars until the icing was set.
The final component is a chocolate icing made from dark chocolate and vegetable oil. After you spread it on the peppermint icing, the the bars go back in the fridge until the chocolate is set.
 
The crust was a little crumbly when I sliced the bars, so as you can see in the photo above, the bars had ragged edges where bits of crust had fallen off. I had pressed the crust into the pan quite firmly, and I'm not sure if adding a little more butter might have helped the crust adhere better (but I note that the bars pictured in Erin's blog post also appear to have ragged edges, so I don't think her crust stayed entirely intact either). The peppermint icing layer was creamy and soft-set, which I liked. 
 
These bars were delicious. They were very minty and the mint filling evoked the center of a York Peppermint Pattie; the strong dose of cool peppermint was perfect with the dark chocolate topping and substantial base. The crumbly nature of the base was a bit annoying (you definitely needed a plate to eat one of these, and small chunks of crust fell off with every bite), but it was a small inconvenience considering how much I enjoyed the slice. This recipe is a wonderful option whenever you don't want to -- or can't -- turn on the oven!

Recipe: "No-Bake Peppermint Slice" from Cloudy Kitchen.

Comments