There's an Oatmeal Cookie for Everyone: Pan-Banging Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies

I've recently made three different recipes from Sarah Kieffer for oatmeal cookies (oatmeal raisin, oatmeal with white chocolate and golden raisins, and oatmeal with white chocolate, rosemary, and apricot) that were all excellent. So I was confident that her pan-banging "Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies" would also be terrific.

To make the batter, you cream room temperature butter with granulated and brown sugar until light and fluffy; add an egg and vanilla; incorporate the dry ingredients (oats, flour, baking soda, and salt); and stir in chocolate (I used Callebaut 2815 57.7% callets). I used a #20 scoop to portion out the dough and got 17 cookies from a batch. I baked the cookies on foil-lined pans and banged the pans every couple of minutes during the last portion of the baking time.
These cookies were very good -- crisp around the edges and chewy in the center, with caramelized bottoms and lots of chocolate throughout. But I have to say that I prefer Kieffer's traditional oatmeal cookies over this pan-banging version. I love the texture of the traditional cookies, which are also chewy, but thicker and softer in the center. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I missed the texture of dried fruit in those cookies. This realization is surprising because I always considered myself someone who preferred oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies over oatmeal raisin. But I have to admit that the texture of oats pairs perfectly with the chewy texture of any dried fruit, whether it's raisins, apricots, cherries, or cranberries. Fortunately, it doesn't matter if you prefer bittersweet chocolate or white chocolate or raisins or apricots or herbaceous notes... Sarah Kieffer has an oatmeal cookie for everyone.
 
Recipe: "[Pan-Banging] Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies" from 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer. 

Previous Posts:

Comments