Easy, Bright Delight: Lemon Sugar Cookies

The photo of the "Lemon Sugar Cookies" in Sarah Kieffer's 100 Cookies shows an orderly stack of identical, wide, flat, elegantly thin cookies. The picture alone would have convinced me to try the recipe even if I didn't love lemon. 

This is a straightforward drop cookie. You cream softened butter with sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy; add an egg, egg yolk, lemon extract, and vanilla extract; and mix in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). You form the cookies (I made my cookies smaller than suggested, using a #30 scoop to get 44 cookies from a batch); roll each cookie in a mixture of sugar and lemon zest; and flatten the cookies before baking.
My cookies spread nicely, but were not as flat or uniform as the ones in the cookbook photo. They had cracks on top that ran between irregular patches of sugar and scattered bits of lemon zest. These cookies were delicious. They were bright and perfectly sweet and bursting with lemon flavor; I know citrus is popular in winter, but these cookies seemed so uplifting and spring-like to me. I also loved their texture, which was light and crisp on the outside and rich and lightly chewy in the interior. These cookies were a lemon-y delight.
 
Recipe: "Lemon Sugar Cookies" from 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer.

Previous Posts:

Comments