The Crisp Version of Chocolate Chip Shortbread: Bourbon Sablés with Chocolate

When I saw the photo of Sarah Kieffer's "Bourbon Sablés with Chocolate" in 100 Cookies, I was immediately reminded of Alison Roman's Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies. The physical similarities between the two cookies are striking. But there are some real differences -- Roman's recipe is eggless and includes both granulated sugar and brown sugar. Kieffer's includes an egg yolk, uses white sugar only, and also has a healthy dose of bourbon. I absolutely love Roman's shortbread cookies, so I was really looking forward to trying Kieffer's recipe. 

To make the dough, you beat softened butter with sugar and salt until light and fluffy; add an egg yolk, bourbon (I used E.H. Taylor Jr. Small Batch) and vanilla; add flour; and mix in chocolate pieces (I used Callebaut 2815 callets that I blitzed in the food processor briefly to break them up into smaller pieces). I formed the dough into a log and chilled it for a day. The recipe says that you should coat the log with sanding sugar before you chill it, but my freshly-made dough was soft and floppy and I figured it would be easier to do this after the dough was cold. The the next day I rolled the chilled dough in demerara sugar and it adhered with no problem.
I sliced and baked the cookies until the edges were golden. This cookie was not what I expecting. I was expecting something similar to Roman's firm and buttery shortbread cookie, but this cookie was lighter and crisp. (The recipe headnote actually tells you that the cookie will be crisp, but I think this information didn't sink in because I'm just so accustomed to a slice and bake sablé being shortbread-like in texture.) While I do not like desserts with an overtly boozy flavor, I quite liked the resulting flavor from the bourbon here. It was not overly alcoholic, but warm and rich.
 
While I thought this cookie was tasty, I do prefer Roman's shortbread cookies because of their firmer, more buttery texture. But this is a solid cookie and the bourbon adds an interesting layer of flavor.
 
Recipe: "Boubon Sablés with Chocolate" from 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer.

Comments