In the Spirit of Kinship: Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies

The pandemic obviously has had a dramatic impact on the restaurant industry, and it's distressing to see so many restaurants struggle to survive. Like every other restaurant in town, Michelin-starred Kinship had to close its dining room in the spring. But it continued to offer take out from its "In the Spirit of Kinship" menu, which included freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies, available by the dozen. Kinship's pastry chef Anne Specker was kind enough to share her cookie recipe (I can longer find it on Kinship's website, but the video is still available here) and I decided to give it a try.

The recipe doesn't contain any surprises -- butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, vanilla, egg, flour, and three types of chocolate. Specker uses Valrhona feves, but I used three types of Cacao Barry pistoles: two parts Guayaquil extra-bitter 64%, one part Alunga 41% milk chocolate, and one part Zéphyr 34% white chocolate. I used a #24 scoop to portion out the dough, getting 31 cookies from a batch, and I chilled the cookies for a day before baking.
The cookies were nice and thick, with a satisfyingly chewy texture. If you were paying attention while you were eating one, you could discern the different type of chocolate. But I think that a lot of people would eat one of these cookies and just think it was a chocolate chip cookie. Which really isn't a bad thing, because chocolate chip cookies are beloved for good reason, and this is a very good version of one. I'm grateful to Kinship and Specker for posting this recipe and allowing all of us to share in the spirit of kinship!

Recipe: "Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies" from Anne Specker, recipe available here.

Comments

Jammers said…
Hi there, I have all three chocolates so Might as well give it a go! an you tell me what temp and time these are baked at? Thanks!
I baked my cookies for 13 minutes at 350 degrees. Happy baking!