Saying Goodbye to Summer Fruit: Peach and Almond Tart

I had the opportunity to make one more peach dessert at the tail end of peach season, so I decided to make it a super peachy one -- a Peach and Almond Tart from BBC Good Food. While I rarely make fruit pies (or pies of any type), I love a good fruit tart.

The crust recipe is straightforward. You cut cold butter into flour, add water and an egg yolk (I also added a pinch of salt), and chill the dough before rolling it out. I lined a 9-inch tart pan with the dough and blind baked the crust. While the crust was baking I made the filling by mixing sugar, butter, eggs, almond flour, and flour (and I added a little salt and almond extract). I spread the almond filling into the cooled partially-baked crust and arranged peach slices on top before baking the tart until golden. Because the pre-baked crust was already brown around the edges, I used a metal pie shield during the entire second bake. You can see in the photo below that there are some brown spots on the filling right at the edge of the area that was covered by the pie shield. After the tart was cool, I brushed the top and all of the fruit with some warm apricot jam.
The crust shrank a decent amount during baking, so this tart released without any effort from the sides and bottom of the pan. It was easy to transport over to the home of friends who invited us over for an outdoor, socially distanced dinner (just two couples, each of us sitting at our own separate table in the backyard!). Our hostess cut and served the tart and it sliced neatly.
The filling surprised me a bit. I was expecting it to be creamy or cream-ish like frangipane, but it was more like a substantial layer of dense almond cake. That's not a bad thing -- I have no complaints about a rich almond cake between a buttery crust and plump, juicy, perfectly ripe peaches. It was a great dessert for a end-of-summer dinner outdoors.

Recipe: "Peach and Almond Tart" from BBC Good Food.

Comments