Win Your Next Bake Sale: Toffee-Apricot Oat Cookies

I came across Nicole Krasinski and Kathleen Kwuan's (both of State Bird Provisions) recipe for Toffee-Apricot Oat Cookies at the same time that I discovered Miro Uskokovic's recipe for Almond-and-Plum Snack Cake, because both recipes were featured in a Food and Wine article on the political roots of bake sales. So I suppose it's fitting that I baked both recipes at the same time. 
 
I'm generally a fan of dried apricots in cookies. Apricots work well combined with ginger, pistachios, other dried fruits, chocolate and espresso, and oats and spice. This recipe pairs them with oats, milk chocolate, and toffee. To make the batter, you cream softened butter with granulated sugar and brown sugar; add an egg; incorporate flour, vanilla, baking soda, and salt; and stir in old-fashioned oats, chopped toffee (I used Heath Bits O' Brickle), and milk chocolate (I used Cacao Barry Lactée Supérieure pistoles). You can use the batter right away. I used a #24 scoop to portion out the dough and got 15 cookies per batch.
These cookies were so good. The dough spread a fair amount in the oven and the finished cookies were quite flat and deeply textured from the oats. They were super chewy and I loved all of the interesting textures from the oats, dried fruit, and toffee. I've become such a fan of milk chocolate of late and it worked so well here -- the flavors were well balanced and harmonious, yielding a cookie that was quite interesting without seeming foreign. It was deeply satisfying. If you like oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies, this deluxe chewy version  is well worth your time.
 
Recipe: "Toffee-Apricot Oat Cookies" by Nicole Krasinski and Kathleen Kwuan, from Food and Wine.
 
Previous Posts:

Comments

Dblowe said…
Just made these cookies today, they are DELICIOUS! Didn't have heath bit's of brickle but I did have SKOR bars, lol, worked like a charm!
Yay, I'm so glad you liked them! I just use Heath bits o brickle because I'm lazy and then I don't have to chop anything! (Plus, having actual candy bars is dangerous in my house... it's so hard to avoid snacking on them!)