Did I Leave Something Out? Nuts!: Sally's Baking Addiction Zucchini Bread

It wasn't long after I baked Shauna Sever's Double Chocolate Zucchini Loaf that I saw an Instagram post about Sally McKenney's recipe for "The Best Zucchini Bread." Since that chocolate zucchini loaf  was quite untraditional (at least as far as zucchini bread goes), I decided to give Sally's more classic recipe a try.  

This is a very easy recipe but it requires a little bit of elbow grease to grate the zucchini. You combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg) in one bowl; combine the wet ingredients (oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and grated zucchini) in another; and add the wet into the dry. It was only after my loaf was already in the oven that I noticed a bowl of walnuts on the kitchen counter that I had intended to mix into the batter (Sally suggests chocolate chips, nuts, or raisins as an add in).
I used a pan that was the specified 9-inch 5-inch size and I was a little surprised how short my loaf was (although if I had added a cup of walnuts as I had intended, that would have helped add a little height). Then again, I suppose the slices in the photo accompanying the recipe are also quite short -- but my personal preference is for a loaf that is a little taller, so next time I would probably use a pan that is 8.5-inches by 4.5-inches. 
 
This bread had a lovely, warm spice flavor. That said, I think it would have benefited greatly from some nuts or chocolate chips. I mean, this was essentially just a spice cake, which tasted very good -- but it was a bit boring. Still, I would happily make it again, with nuts added, in a smaller pan!

Recipe: "The Best Zucchini Bread" from Sally's Baking Addiction.

Comments