Salted May Not be Salty Enough: Salted Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I accidentally bought two pounds of salted butter a while ago; it was pre-pandemic, so butter was not in short supply in stores and I have no excuse. I was simply careless when I was at the grocery store and didn't realize until I got home that the Danish Creamery butter I had purchased on sale contains salt.

When I saw a recipe that uses salted (non-European) butter on epicurious.com, I was sold. Emily Johnson's recipe for "Salted Butter-Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies" is pretty straightforward, but you do need to build in enough time to chill the dough. You beat room temperature butter with granulated sugar and brown sugar; add eggs; mix in the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt); incorporate old-fashioned oats and vanilla; and fold in chopped chocolate (I used chopped Scharffen Berger 62% petite squares).

I scooped out the dough (I used a #30 scoop and got 33 cookies from a batch of dough) and chilled the cookies for 24 hours before baking. The cookies flattened out quite a bit as they baked, so the cookies ended up thinner than what I normally expect for an oatmeal cookie. But I liked their svelte appearance.
I tasted a cookie from the first pan that I baked and I thought it was a little on the sweet side, so I sprinkled Maldon salt onto the remainder of the cookies before I baked them. With the added salt, I thought that the flavors were better balanced. While there was a fair amount of oats in these cookies, I thought that these seemed more like chocolate chip cookies with some oats added rather than oatmeal cookies. But they were delicious. I mean, it's hard to go wrong with oats and chocolate chips -- but I really liked the chewy texture of these thin cookies and I would absolutely make then again.

Recipe: "Salted Butter-Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies" from epicurious.com.

Comments