Just as Good as the Best: Banana-Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake

I love cakes with streusel, but it can be so disappointing when the ratio of streusel to cake is too low. One of the reasons I decided to make the Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake from Sally's Baking Addiction is because the cake has two layers of streusel: one in the middle and one on top.

The recipe is written to be baked in an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan, but I multiplied it by 1.5 and baked it in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan. To make the cake batter, you beat softened butter with sugar; add an egg and vanilla; mix in mashed bananas and yogurt (I used sour cream instead); and incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt).

I put half of the batter in my parchment-lined pan; sprinkled on a streusel made of cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate chips; layered on the rest of the cake batter; and topped off the cake with more streusel. I wanted to use miniature chocolate chips for the streusel (because I often find that miniature chips work better in cakes because they are less likely to sink), but I ran out -- so my streusel was about three-quarters miniature chips and a quarter regular-sized chips.
When I put what I thought was half of the cake batter in the pan before adding the first layer of streusel, I just eyeballed the amount of batter. Apparently I did a pretty bad job, because after the cake was cooled and I sliced it, the layer of streusel inside the cake was almost at the bottom. And the completely straight line of streusel looked a little odd. But this cake was so dang good. It didn't taste like a crumb cake with banana so much as a banana cake with streusel. The recipe calls for a cup and a half of mashed bananas, which is a lot for an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan. It's actually the same amount of bananas Sally uses in her amazing best banana cake recipe, which is written to be baked in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan.

I loved the intensity of the banana flavor and the moist, springy texture of the cake. The amount of streusel was just perfect, adding lots of sweet cinnamon and chocolate in every bite. I like this cake as much as I like Sally's best banana cake, which is to say that I absolutely love it.

Recipe: "Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake" from Sally's Baking Addiction.

Previous Post: "Name Checks Out: Best Banana Cake," May 30, 2018.

Comments