Name Checks Out: Best Banana Cake

Lately I've been in the mood to make a lot of banana baked goods. And I was craving an old-fashioned banana cake with cream cheese frosting so I decided to try a recipe that Sally McKenney from Sally's Baking Addiction asserts is "The Best Banana Cake I've Ever Had."

The recipe is straightforward. You cream softened butter with granulated sugar and brown sugar (I used dark brown); mix in eggs and vanilla, followed by mashed bananas; and alternately add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) and buttermilk. I baked the cake in a parchment-lined 9-inch by 13-inch pan and let it cool completely before adding a frosting made from cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. I left the frosted cake in the fridge overnight before cutting it.
Both the cake and the frosting were quite sweet but delicious. The cake was dense, springy, and bursting with banana flavor. It tasted great even straight from the refrigerator, when it was still cold. And I love cream cheese frosting and think it's the absolute best pairing with banana cake. I am going to have to agree with Sally; this is the best banana cake I've ever had.* [*Limited to classic-style banana sheet cakes with cream cheese frosting. When it comes to layer cakes, the tender Bananas Cake from Baked Elements would be difficult to beat -- especially when paired with cream cheese frosting -- but I wouldn't put it in the same category.]

Recipe: "Best Banana Cake" from Sally's Baking Addiction.

Previous Posts:

Comments