Almost No Effort Required: Butter Mochi

I happened to have a box of Mochiko sweet rice flour on hand and decided to use it to make a batch of Joanne Chang's "Butter Mochi" during Passover. The recipe couldn't be easier. You just stir together Mochiko, coconut milk, whole milk, sugar, melted butter, eggs, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and sweetened shredded coconut and let the batter sit for 15 minutes. Then you pour the batter into a pan and bake.
My mochi had a nice golden top and after they were completely cool, I cut them into relatively small squares (a little bigger than an inch square) and put them in candy cups to make them easier to handle. I liked these a lot, but I didn't love them. For me, butter mochi are mostly about texture. While these mochi were chewy, I like my butter mochi to be super chewy with a crusty top and edges. While the top looked like a nice firm crust, it didn't offer much resistance and I was hoping for a bigger textural contrast. But that's just my personal preference. I can't quibble with how tasty these were for how little effort they required.

Recipe: "Butter Mochi" from Pastry Love by Joanne Chang.

Previous Post: "Chew on This!: Butter Mochi," February 21, 2013.

Comments