Bet You Can't Eat Just One!: Potato Chip-Chip Shortbread

I like the combination of salty and sweet flavors in baked goods, including cookies that include potato chips. I'm a fan of Jessie Sheehan's Butterscotch-Potato Chip Balls that are rolled in crushed potato chips before baking, and I always put kettle chips in my Compost Cookies. So I wanted to try Shauna Sever's "Potato Chip-Chip Shortbread" in Midwest Made, which not only include potato chips in the dough, but also have more chips coating the tops and undersides of the cookies.

I bought some Lay's Classic potato chips, which is the variety Shauna recommends for its delicate texture and salty flavor. I purchased what I consider to be the normal (but not giant) size bag of chips, which was an 8 oz. bag. As I was setting up all of my ingredients to get ready to bake, I was planning to make a double batch of shortbread -- until I double-checked the recipe and realized that it calls for 190 grams of finely crushed chips, or close to seven ounces. I would need almost the entire bag to make a relatively small quantity of shortbread, which seemed wild.

To make the cookie dough, you beat room temperature butter with vanilla and salt until creamy; add brown sugar and powdered sugar and beat until fluffy; mix in flour; and stir in chocolate chips and crushed potato chips. You sprinkle more crushed potato chips onto a work surface, and turn out the dough onto the chips, pat it into a rough rectangle, and then roll it out to a thickness of half an inch, embedding chips on the underside of the dough. Then you brush the top of the dough with egg wash (egg beaten with a little water and sugar) and sprinkle on more crushed potato chips. I rolled over the dough with the rolling pin to press in the chips and then cut the dough into 1.25" squares. Apparently I rolled my dough a bit on the thin side, because I got 60 squares of shortbread when the recipe says that it yields four dozen cookies that are 1.25" squares. Potato chips were falling off everywhere as I cut the dough and transferring the cookies to a parchment-lined sheet. While I did my best to press loose chips into the dough, as you can see in the photo below, the cookies were pretty well coated with chips and a lot of chips got left behind.
These cookies were tiny, but packed full of flavor. I loved their hearty, crisp, buttery texture and the mix of flavors from the sweet cookie, the occasional bursts of chocolate from the chips, and the salty and crisp potato chips. Each cookie was only a bite or two, and while they were immensely satisfying, it was quite difficult to stop at just one cookie. I thought these shortbreads were wonderful and I look forward to the next time I get to enjoy them. I think I'll spring for the family-size bag of chips and make a double batch!

Recipe: "Potato Chip-Chip Shortbread" from Midwest Made by Shauna Sever, recipe available here at New York Times Cooking.

Previous Posts:

Comments