Easy Comfort: Caramel Apple Dapple Cake

I had never heard of an apple dapple cake before, but apparently it's a thing. Shauna Sever's version from Midwest Made adds coffee into the batter and a brown sugar caramel-like glaze on top, but it's still a snap to put together.

To make the cake, you beat softened butter with sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy; stream in canola oil; beat in eggs; and alternately add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg) and lukewarm coffee. Then you fold in chopped Honeycrisp apples; I used 450 grams.

You bake the cake in a parchment-lined 9-inch by 13-inch pan and while it's still warm, you pour on a hot glaze of brown sugar, butter, milk, salt, and vanilla. My glaze set nicely but when I pulled the cooled cake out the pan (using the parchment paper as handles), the cake flexed and caused the completely smooth glaze to develop quite a few cracks.
This cake was delicious. It was very moist and I loved the big chunks of apples that were evenly distributed throughout. The cake was nicely spiced and the sweetness level overall was restrained, even with the glaze. I thought I could taste the coffee, but sometimes it's hard for me to separate what I'm actually tasting from what I know is in the cake. I especially like that this is clearly an apple cake, and not just a cake with some apples thrown in. Overall, this was a very easy and comforting dessert.

Recipe: "Caramel Apple Dapple Cake" from Midwest Made by Shauna Sever, recipe available here (with volume measurements only, ugh) from the TODAY show.

Comments