The Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookie: Egg Yolk Chocolate Chip Cookies

After I made a large white cake with mousseline for a colleague's retirement party, I had the problem of 32 left over egg yolks. I made a couple of hazelnut gâteux breton (one of my all time favorite hazelnut desserts) to use up a dozen of them, and decided to also make a few batches of Claire Ptak's "Egg Yolk Chocolate Chip Cookies." (I originally found a copy of the recipe on the TASTE website, but because it didn't include weight measurements, I Googled for a bit until I found a version that was printed in The Guardian with metric weights).

The dough requires a stop in the freezer before baking, but it turns out that this is more of a feature than a bug, because you can store the formed cookies in the freezer for up to a month before baking. The method is otherwise what you would expect for a chocolate chip cookie recipe. You beat softened butter with sugar and light brown sugar; add vanilla and egg yolks; and mix in the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips). I used a #24 scoop to portion out the dough and got 25 cookies from each batch of dough. I froze the cookies arranged in a single layer on baking sheets until they were hard, and then transferred to them to plastic container. Since then I've been pulling cookies out of the freezer to bake whenever I find it convenient.
I didn't flatten my cookies before baking, so they were perfect hemispheres going into the oven. They didn't spread or flatten out that much, so they came out chunky and thick, and with a smaller diameter than I would have expected for a #24 scoop-portion of dough. But they were nicely golden, especially around the edges, with a well-developed flavor and a nice firm texture. I thought that the cookies could have used a few more chocolate chips, but they were pretty dang good. Not better than Jacques Torres' chocolate chip cookies, but definitely way better than average. And I do love being able to stash them in the freezer and bake on demand. I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind for future occasions when I end up with extra egg yolks.

Recipe: "Egg Yolk Chocolate Chip Cookies" from The Violet Bakery Cookbook by Claire Ptak, available here from The Guardian.

Comments