An Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookie in Snickerdoodle Clothing: Shauna Sever's After-School Specials

Shauna Sever says that her "After-School Specials" are chocolate chip cookie, oatmeal cookie, and snickerdoodle all rolled into one. The recipe is straightforward, but the dough needs to be chilled before baking, so you have to plan ahead.

To make the dough, you beat softened butter with sugar and light brown sugar until fluffy; add eggs; mix in the dry ingredients (old-fashioned oats, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, fine salt, and flaky salt); and stir in chocolate chips (I used chopped Scharffen Berger 62% petite baking squares). You chill the dough for at least an hour before scooping it into balls and rolling each cookie in a mixture of sugar, cinnamon, and salt before baking. I used a #24 scoop and got 31 cookies from the recipe.
The cookies baked up fairly round, with cracked, bumpy tops that had a rich golden hue from the cinnamon-sugar coating. They were thick and chewy, which is exactly how I like an oatmeal-chocolate chip cookie to be -- although I think they could have used a little more chocolate. I know that oatmeal cookies usually have cinnamon in them, but putting the cinnamon in a sugar coating instead of in the batter itself yields a different result. The layer of cinnamon-sugar hits you all at once, separate from the flavor of the cookie itself.

Although I love cinnamon sugar, I think I prefer oatmeal cookies with the cinnamon in the batter itself, because it makes the flavors seem a bit more cohesive. Regardless, I liked these cookies quite a bit. I gave most of the cookies to two former colleagues and both of them gave them rave reviews.

Recipe: "After-School Specials" from Midwest Made by Shauna Sever.

Comments