The Best Crust Makes the Best Pies: Lattice-Top Rhubarb Pie

For my last rhubarb dessert of the season, I decided to make a Lattice-Top Rhubarb Pie from Rose Levy Beranbaum. And even though I deeply respect Beranbaum and the quality of her recipes, I decided to use Stella Parks' pie crust recipe instead of the one Beranbaum provided. I always had trouble with my pie crusts before I discovered Stella's crust recipe and I'm pretty devoted to it.

I made the dough for the crust; divided it into two pieces; rolled out one piece and used it to line a pie pan; rolled out the other piece so that I could use it later for the lattice; and chilled the pie shell and the other piece of dough for a few hours.

The pie filling is a mixture of chopped rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and salt. I let the mixture sit at room temperature for a few minutes before pouring it into the chilled pie shell. Then I cut fluted strips from the other piece of dough, formed the lattice, and chilled the assembled pie for an hour. Then I brushed the lattice with milk, sprinkled on coarse sugar, and baked the pie until the juices were bubbling. I added a pie shield after the first 15 minutes of baking and I was delighted with the shiny, deep golden crust.
I waited until the pie was completely cool before slicing and serving it and the crust was perfect. The pie slices held their shape after being removed from the pan, and the crust was thoroughly cooked on the bottom, beautifully flaky, and full of flavor. The filling was juicy but not runny and just slightly tart, with a light touch of lemon. I could not have hoped for a better result.
Honestly, the best part of the pie was the crust. That's not to slight the rhubarb filling, but Stella's crust is just so delicious that it never fails to leave a lasting impression. This pie was a fabulous way to close out my rhubarb baking projects for the year.

Recipe: "Lattice-Top Rhubarb Pie" by Rose Levy Beranbaum, recipe available here from Fine Cooking; "Old-Fashioned Flaky Pie Crust" by Stella Parks, aka "No-Stress All-Butter Pastry Crust" in Bravetart.

Comments