Have Tahini, Will Bake: Fig, Tahini, and Milk Chocolate Cookies

I had tahini left over after making some New-Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies with All Tahini and No Butter, so I decided to try David Lebovitz's recipe for Fig, Tahini, and Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies. His recipe is based on Margarita Manzke's recipe for Fig-Tahini Cookies in Baking at République.

The dough comes together quickly but it must be chilled overnight before baking so you need to plan in advance. You beat room temperature butter with sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla; mix in tahini and an egg; stir in the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt); and incorporate chopped dried figs (I used Mission figs from Trader Joe's) and milk chocolate (I used Cacao Barry Lactée Supérieure 38% pistoles). I used a #24 scoop to portion out the dough, which gave me 20 cookies that I chilled overnight. The next day I rolled each chilled ball of dough in sesame seeds and flattened the cookies slightly before baking.
Lebovitz cautions against overbaking the cookies, so mine were just golden around the edges when I took them out of the oven and the tops were lighter in color than the ones pictured on his blog. I really liked these cookies and the unusual flavor combination. The cookies were not as chewy as I had hoped, but the moist pieces of fig added some nice chewiness. The smooth milk chocolate was the most prominent flavor, and it paired surprisingly well with sesame. The biggest problem with these cookies was their incessant shedding of sesame seeds, much like what happens when you eat a sesame seed bagel and end up with sesame seeds everywhere. Handling these cookies left a coating of sesame seeds on your fingers, and the table at work where I left the cookies out for my colleagues was sprinkled with seeds by the end of the day. But seed litter aside, I'm a fan!

Recipe: "Fig, Tahini, and Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies" by David Lebovitz, inspired by the Fig-Tahini Cookies in Baking at République by Margarita Manzke.

Comments