The Struggle and the Crumble Are Real: Two-Tone Hazelnut Cookies

Last month I went to New York City on a business trip and arranged to have dinner with my law school classmate Sunny and his family. Sunny's daughter is interested in baking and I gave her a macaron-making lesson the last time I saw her in DC. I wanted to bring her some baked goods and I decided to make something from Maida Heatter's Best Dessert Book Ever. When Heatter passed away a few weeks prior, I put her cookbook on top of the constantly-rotating stack of cookbooks I keep by my bedside to function as my baking option shortlist at any given point in time. I decided to go with Heatter's "Two-Tone Hazelnut Cookies," which are slice-and-bake hazelnut-cinnamon cookies topped with a strip of chocolate dough.

The recipe looked easy enough. To make the hazelnut dough, you simply beat butter until softened; add hazelnuts that have been ground in the food processor with sugar; and mix in the sifted dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon; I left out the optional espresso powder). You form the dough into a roll, wrap it in wax paper, and chill it until firm. I left the dough in the fridge overnight. The chocolate dough is a mixture of butter, vanilla, sugar, flour, and cocoa powder.  
You slice the log of chilled hazelnut dough into cookies a quarter-inch thick and then you're supposed to put the chocolate dough in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe a strip of chocolate dough down the center of each cookie. The headnote says that when the cookies are baked, "the chocolate bakes into the hazelnut cookie, leaving a dark strip with just a hint of the original star shape."

The cookbook warns that the chocolate dough will be "quite stiff." When I put it into a disposable plastic pastry bag fitted with the largest star tip I had, it was too stiff to pipe. I just couldn't manage it. Then I got out a spritz cookie press that a friend gave me a while ago. It's 100% metal and I figured that it would be able to handle the dough. It couldn't. The dough was breaking off before I could squeeze out a strip the length of the hazelnut cookies. So I gave up. I decided to roll out the chocolate dough and cut it into strips with a knife. I cut the ends of each strip at an angle thinking it would make them look more interesting and just laid a strip of chocolate dough on each hazelnut cookie before baking.

The cookies spread a fair amount in the oven and came out quite thin. When I was moving the baked cookies from the pan to a cooling rack, I was surprised at how delicate they were. These are some of sandiest, most fragile cookies I have ever made. Just handling a cookie left sandy debris behind on my fingers. The cookies were so prone to breakage that I was really worried about how I could even transport them to New York with me. I carefully packed them in a small box and filled up all of the extra space with crumpled deli paper. I put the box in a paper shopping bag and gingerly hand-carried it from the time I left my house in DC until I arrived at the restaurant in NYC where I was meeting Sunny and his family. Still, when Sunny's daughter opened the box, I could see a fair number of broken cookies inside.

I didn't care for these cookies. The texture was too crumbly for my liking and the flavor was not that interesting; I think the cinnamon was a little distracting. I was expecting that I would get a buttery and substantial shortbread along the lines of something you might get from Pepperidge Farm. Instead, I got a super sandy cookie that barely held itself together. These cookies were not worth the struggle it took to make them.

Recipe: "Two-Tone Hazelnut Cookies" from Maida Heatter's Best Dessert Book Ever.

Comments

Louise said…
Wow, I've never made a bad Maida Heatter recipe, and I have most of her books. But, I also don't have this one flagged "to be made' in the book. I've copied your post and inserted it by the recipe. Many recipes are flagged in the book, including the one called "Miami Vice" just after this recipe.
I have very little experience with Maida Heatter recipes, but I was surprised too! I'm definitely going to have to try a few more recipe from the cookbook I have.